Sunday, October 4, 2009

Kaleidoscope block

This is the block started in Paula Nadelstern's class, "Needlestars". The corners aren't sewn on yet, so don't look too close. I'm really happy with the center....it came out pretty good for the first block. It takes a lot of precision and patience to transfer guide marks onto the templates for fussy cutting each piece! Now I know why the templates I made at least 10 yrs. ago were still in Paula's book (I found them when I pulled her book off the shelf to take this class!). I started quilting because I wanted to make a kaleidoscope quilt, after watching a show on TV. Needless to say it wasn't even a "Stack 'n Whack block. I had been quilting, learning from books & magazines as I went my merry way, until we moved to MA. There were lots of quilters and shops and classes! Need I say more? Bethany Reynolds came to one of the shops to teach (before her first book) her methods, and I was hooked. Along comes Paula's book, but I think I was too intimidated to actually cut into the fabric after trying to make my design and templates. Her new fabric, which has bilateral symmetry, makes it so-o-o much easier to achieve a complex design.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: