Wednesday, June 22, 2011

New Storage

Yea!!!  I got rid of the old, bulky shelves in my sewing room. (Can't quite bring myself to call it a "studio")  My son-in-law was here for a visit so I put him to work!  We went shopping at the local home improvement centers and found the storage cabinets and added the drawer units and shelves.  There are still some things to be rearranged and changed, but I love it.  The old unit had three big shelves so I had all of my fabric in odds and ends of plastic bins stacked three high.  Of course every time I needed a piece of fabric it was in one of the bottom bins.  Now I can just pull open a drawer to find get what I need.  Boy, did I find a lot of "what were you thinking" and "ugh, this is really bad" fabric that got weeded out.  It's very interesting to see what colors and types of fabric were "in" and that I really liked once upon a time.  I can't remember who made the comment, "if it's still ugly, you just haven't cut it small enough", or something like that.  That's about 99% true, but there are some fabrics that are just plain bad.  My new rule is that I can't add new fabric if it won't fit in the existing space.  Think that will work?


The old tv has to go!  Mr. D suggested a new flat screen that will fit on the top shelf to right of the iron.  Should fit perfect.  For now I just have to move the old one out of the way.

12 comments:

marina said...

what a wonderful workspace!
You have really sorted out your bits and pieces.
I like that saying 'if it's still ugly.....'
love the pic of the bumblebee. Our bees don't look like that.

Joanna said...

I like what you chose for storage and the way your arranged the closets and shelves. Nice planning.

Bev said...

Thanks. I'm still trying to get used to the new setup.

corina said...

Your sewing room looks great! Know what you mean about the "studio" label, I can't use it either. I like the saying about the ugly fabric. I'm making a black and white string quilt right now with fabric I like, the next one will be with my uglies. Guess I'll find out if I cut them up into small enough pieces! Like your robin posts.

BubzRugz said...

Fantastic workspace.... lovely....
Hugz

rubyslipperz1052 said...

Wuddda lucky duck! congrats to your new creative space!

hugZ,
annie
rubyslipperz106.blogspot.com

Thimbles and Threads Quilt Shop said...

I think you can definitely call this a studio. I think I'm having a little studio envy. It looks wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Such a nice Studio! I think it's a very nice space and I love the storage. I wonder how small a cut has to be? I have some uglies too, but I hang on to them just because I don't like to trash stash. Maybe an ugly quilt will make it to my to do list one day...uuugh! Nice visiting....see you soon, susie

HELLO! said...

Hi Bev,
Love the "studio"... nothing wrong with calling it that it's your space. It does make working so much more fun when you can find things. The drawers are great, love the clear fronts and it looks like a comfy place to work. Congratulations on having a lovely son-in-law too :)
Deb
ps. Thanks for the birthday greeting.

wattlebee said...

Hi Bev,
Don't know where the assasin bait company came from ( a little mystery, or someone has been playing with my computer) but it was a comment from Deb Gardiner.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Looks great! I'm a "little" jealous....grin

Lisa Chin said...

Bev! All this time and I didn't know you had a blog! I'm so glad I found it so I can see what you are up to.

Your studio is awesome! (I have a hard time calling mine a studio as well but I am forcing myself to call it that so that the family takes my art seriously!) The new shelves look great. Good luck with the fabric embargo. It usually only works if you stay out of the fabric stores and offline. ;)